-Please answer the questions for tomorrow’s class. Don’t forget to highlight any words you don’t know and add them to the list at the front of class.
“Priscilla and the Wimps” by Richard Peck
Comprehension Questions: remember to answer the questions in complete sentences.
- What is the name of Monk’s gang?
- What is the first technique Priscilla uses to handle Monk?
- How does the narrator describe Priscilla’s move to get Monk in a hammerlock? What does this description mean?
- Contrast how Monk Clutter is presented at the beginning and end of “Priscilla and the Wimps”
- Do you think Priscilla’s methods of dealing with Monk are effective? Explain.
Figurative Language: Hyperbole
- A hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect. Here is an example:
I almost died laughing or This book weighs a ton.
Such statements are not literally true, but are used for effect or to emphasize something, such as a feeling, effort, or reaction.
Identify examples of hyperboles in “Priscilla and the Wimps” and list them below. What effect do the hyperboles have on the story?